Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Beginning

If you’re reading this blog, you probably already know that I’ve decided to participate in a program called Team Challenge. Hopefully, you’ve already visited my fundraising website (http://www.active.com/donate/napa09norcal/JenLongpre), but I decided to start blogging so you can all track my training and fundraising progress…the ups, the downs, the long runs, the fundraising challenge and the rewards.

In short, I’ve only just begun. I officially joined Team Challenge in February and attended by first team training on March 7. I was drawn to Team Challenge for a couple reasons. The first, and foremost, being because several people very close to me suffer from Crohn’s or Colitis. I wanted to do something to try to make a difference for people with this disease, and this seemed like the best way to do it. I also wanted a reason to get back into my running, and what better motivation than raising money for such a great cause, to help find a cure for the people I love.

As many of you know, I have run several half marathons. But every single one is a new challenge. This time, it has been more than a year and a half since my last race and I have not been running much since I moved to San Francisco in June, so running 3 miles last weekend was…let’s just say not as easy as it used to be. I joined a few other runners for a weeknight run along the Embarcadero on Tuesday, again, not easy but felt great afterwards. Yesterday, I joined the group for my 2nd team training and ran 4 miles with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background (can’t complain about the scenery). A little past mile 2 I was about to start walking, but was luckily joined by one of the mentors, Amanda, who ran with me the rest of the way and gave me that extra push to make it the last 2 miles. Again, once it was over, it felt great and I was so proud of myself for pushing through the pain. I can’t wait to be able to run 6, 7, 8 miles again.

On the fundraising front, I’m starting to get donations, slowly but surely. Thanks to the Wymans for my very first donations! And of course, Chelsea – always there when I need her. So far, I’ve raised $155, 6% on my way to my goal of $2,600.

Today, it’s cold and rainy in San Francisco but I’m trying to find the motivation to make it to the gym to stay on track for my training. I hope you all check back to watch my progress in training and fundraising for this great cause!


Maddy and me - my friend with Ulcerative Colitis and my inspiration for joining Team Challenge








The course for my run on March 14 - we ran the loop twice for a total of 4 miles

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I'm posting for two reasons:
    1) I'm proud of you.
    2) It feels good when people post comments on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete